45 ml olive or canola oil
30 ml red grape or balsamic vinegar
30 ml strong Rooibos tea or water
5 ml honey or sugar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
500 g butternut, peeled and cut into chunky pieces
300 g beetroot, peeled and quartered
400 g tin butter beans, drained
15 ml chopped fresh origanum
15 ml chopped fresh parsley
15 ml chopped fresh mint or more parsley
1 slice feta, crumbled
lemon and black pepper to taste
2 handfuls lettuce leave
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Mix 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil with vinegar, tea or water, honey or sugar and garlic together in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss butternut and beetroot in oil mixture until well coated. Spoon in a single layer into an oven dish or baking tray.
- Roast for 30 - 40 minutes or until cooked. Stir beans, herbs, remaining oil and feta into veggies. Season to taste with lemon juice and pepper.
- Spoon veggie and bean mixture onto salad leaves and serve warm or at room temperature
- Substitute butternut or beetroot with sweet potato in the skin, brinjal or carrots.
- Prepare these veggies over the coals as described on page 55 for the Baby marrow foil parcels. You may need some more foil and the heat of the coals will determine the cooking time.
Recipe source: Cookingfromtheheart.co.za